Pulau Sempu or Sempu Island is a small island located in the south of East Java. It is an island with a beautiful sea lagoon Segara Anakan inside, turquoise seawater, and white sand. Sempu Island is in Malang region and takes 3 hours driving to the harbor near the island, Sendang Biru. Rent a boat for 15 minutes trip from Sendang Biru to the island’s bay, and don’t forget to arrange your return time with the boat’s owner.
If you are looking for a place where you can build a tent, no one around, isolated from the outside world, sunbathing on white sand, and swim to the sea with no waves? Sempu Island in Indonesia is your place. People come for many reasons to the island. Celebrating Indonesian Independence Day on 17 August, New Year eves, Valentine’s Day, vacation, or even an observation.
Before getting to the lagoon inside the island, it needs 2 km trekking from the bay through the muddy jungle and takes 1 up to 5 hours trekking! It makes sense. I have been there 7 times since 2008 and spent many hours trekking depend on the weather, either sunny or rainy day. Sunny day will make a dry track, and rainy day will give you a gift with a muddy track!
Late trekking in the afternoon and the number of the group also will take your time longer to reach the lagoon. In 2008, I started trekking through the muddy track at 05.00 p.m with 15 persons on the journey! We spent 5 hours and arrived at 11.00 p.m!
One way trekking is possible when you start at 10.00 am in the morning with a dry track with less people who joins with you or alone. You will only spend 45 minutes as I did, 30 minutes on the lagoon, and another 45 minutes going back to the bay. Watch your step also while trekking and keep on the existing track, or you will get lost and double your journey’s time!
Since the island is a protected conservation area, things you have to keep on your mind are:
- Keep the island clean and take your rubbish with you on your way back
- Be careful with wild monkeys, sometimes it takes your meal
- Don’t damage the forest
- Don’t swim to the rock’s hole while waves hit from the outside. I did! It was a nightmare having a big bloody wound on my feet.
Before going to Sempu Island, things you have to prepare and important to bring for many reasons such as:
- Bring your own drinking water and food. No seller and no freshwater inside the island
- Ask for permission in BKSDA office in Surabaya or Jember. But sometimes people only ask to the officer near Sendang Biru
- Bring your camera to capture awesome pictures
- Use a trekking sandal or shoes
- Bring your cell phone to communicate with your friends and boat’s owner (you will only find signal in the bay and lagoon)
- No electricity, so bring your flashlight, extended charger or double battery depend on your length of stay
- If you decide to stay, bring your camping stuff (sleeping bag, mattress, tent)
- Sun block? Well if you fell it is important for you, then bring it
- Wet and dry wipes is an emergency for me!
A far and tiring journey to the lagoon paid off with the beautiful landscapes and views. Happy traveling mate!
Source : travenesia.com/0